Collard greens, mustard greens, kale, Swiss chards, and broccoli rabe can be called nutrition
powerhouses for the loads of nutrients provided in just 1/2 cup servings of these vegetables.
All green fruits & vegetables are filled with antioxidants that protect our cells from oxidative damage.
More specifically, green vegetables and fruit contain the antioxidants indoles and lutein that have been
shown to promote healthy vision and reduce certain types of cancers.
Most of us reach first for apples, green peppers, green beans and kiwi fruit to fill our plate with the
green superstars. While those selections provide good nutrition, we might want to consider adding
more cooking greens to our plate for the high amounts of vitamin A and C, calcium, iron and fiber
provided by these nutrition powerhouses!
Quick ways to enjoy your cooking greens:
* Sauté greens and add to soups, stews or stir-fry dishes.
* Toss any of your cooking greens into a spaghetti sauce!
* Toss greens with a little drizzle of oil, salt & pepper. Roast greens in 350° oven for 10-12 minutes until
slightly crisp edges. Enjoy!
* Add greens to your morning smoothie for a nutrition boost even your kids won’t notice.
* Add some of these more powerful greens to your traditional salad.